|Snakes & Guidelines
||[May. 25th, 2008|12:09 pm]
Eleven actual tips for hiring women, in 1943
Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees: There's no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage.
Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:
1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn't be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.
2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclines to be cantankerous and fussy. It's always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.
3. General experience indicates that "husky" girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress at the outset the importance of time the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.
6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they'll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.
7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can't shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.
10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl's husband or father may swear vociferously, she'll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.
11. Get enough size variety in operator's uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can't be stressed too much in keeping women happy.
( Sorry I didn't post yesterday. I thought I'd post something doubly offensive today to make up for it. ;) )
And a baby with a cobra. WTH!!?! This may freak you out. The baby's fine, but.. scary.
LOL those are hilarious. It's like.. not even offensive to me. Just funny XD Oh, those silly people back in '43.
Looking on the bright side, at least shit like this led to even more support for the women's rights movements =) I mean, if I were an employee back in 1943, I'd definitely have something to say about these, especially the ones involving my work ethic and fragile, virgin mind. O.o And, I swear like a sailor. I don't think I'm going to be uncomfortable with it any time soon =P
The only good one out of these is the last one. I do like proper fitting clothing xD
Yeah, definitely. ;) And it's true, proper fitting clothing can never be stressed enough. haha. ;)
Aside from the "physical exams" that no doubt the men never undergo, I think these are all really good rules. Women do benefit from being clean and put together far more than men, etc. The "husky girls" thing was completely off the wall, but it was his experience.
I wish employers catered to my personality and psychological structure as a man, nowadays I just get treated like a machine.
Girls just get treated like machines too, these days.
Seems to be the way that all employees get treated more or less.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I don't find this list offensive, but it is discriminatory. I wish people WOULD discriminate between the sexes, because we ARE men and women, and not EMPLOYEES.
my god, and they were all laughing like it was nothing, i thought cobras bite, do they bite? im glad it ended when it did cause it looked like the cobra was going to strangle that baby...people are really fucked up.
They do bite, but this particular cobra had it's poison removed from it's fangs and possibly it's jaw in someway tied shut so it couldn't hurt the baby.. but still. Idiots. :( Poor kid. Talk about the therapy a child would need after that!
oh man...it might be the rum and cokes talking...but every single one of those made me laugh harder then the one before.
please hire me a special physicist
Please give me specific tasks so i don't have to talk to my supervisors ever.
and please Please PLEASE give me extra breaks so ym spirit doens't fold under the heavy work load...please?
LOL I know, right? So funny.
Yeah, WTF is up with that video?!? Did they take the Cobras teeth out first?
I'm guessing that the mouth is wired shut so they can't actually do any damage.
This is really funny. If my bosses try to give me an outline of what to do for the day I normally get it done in an hour or two. My boss Walter used to come into the office and asked me to do things that I had already finished. I spent alot of time explaining that if its part of my job I do it without being asked. I gave my boss Abe a good laugh by telling him that his brothers made the accounting so complicated that I'm the only one who can figure it out. He laughed because he knew it was true. When I was going on maturnity leave I teied to explain part of my job to him and he couldn't grasp the concept. I was working at home for 4 months when Walter asked me to come into the office because they hadn't paid some of the bills in 4 months.