|I hate people. -- And also, did you see this on the news yet?
||[Sep. 22nd, 2007|07:05 am]
|||||Running On Empty - Jackson Browne||]|
Seems to me this should be getting more press then it is...
DETROIT (AP) - An assistant U.S. attorney from Florida was arrested in an Internet sting operation after flying to Michigan to have sex with a 5-year-old girl, authorities said Monday.
John D.R. Atchison, 53, was arrested Sunday at Detroit Metropolitan Airport after several weeks of Internet conversations between the prosecutor and a detective posing as the mother of a 5-year-old girl, authorities say.
"There wasn't much reaction from him at all," Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel said. Atchison was cooperative with authorities, he said.
He was charged with using interstate communication to entice a minor to have sexual contact and traveling across state lines with the intent of engaging in illicit sexual contact. If convicted of both charges, he faces up to 40 years in prison.
According to court records, Atchison initiated an online chat Aug. 29 with an undercover officer posing as a mother interested in letting men have sex with her daughter.
At one point, Atchison said: "I'm always gentle and loving; not to worry; no damage ever; no rough stuff ever ever," according to an affidavit filed in court.
Atchison, of Gulf Breeze, Fla., is a prosecutor for the U.S. attorney's office for northern Florida, based in Tallahassee. He requested a court-appointed lawyer at his hearing Monday.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
My question to you... how should this bastard be punished? Feel free not to mince words.
I have a few ideas but I'd like to hear yours too.
And because I try not to make all of my entry horrific at any given time, here's some happy Ukrainian Eurovision dancing.
Well, just to be honest and open, I'll make a quick response to several other things here.
I am against
• the kind of sting in which this guy was caught
• charging him with a victimless crime
• convicting him of a victimless crime
• punishing him for a victimless crime
• calling him a bastard and other names
• mutilating the genitals of anyone, including those who commit abuse with their genitals
• executing anyone
• suggesting that 'rotting' is what anyone should do in prison
• sexually abusing anyone.
We need people treated well. We need them fertilized and made to flourish, not to rot and die. We need them helped. We don't need anyone—child abusers, the state, ourselves—to be treated people like crap, even when they act like crap.
The vitriol here makes me angry and sad, though I understand and sympathize with the initial reaction that sparks it.
Nobody should be inhumane, that's a given. ON the other hand this is a group of offenders with one of the highest recidivism rates, and one who's crimes cause incredibly severe damage to children, who are often not in a position to defend themselves or even really understand what's going on. I recognize the distinction you're making...he didn't actually do anything and therefore there is as yet not victim, but the law in this area has been structured to detect and punish the intent, which he clearly had.
So, in the absence of any demonstrably effective treatment for these offenders, who have time and again shown that given the chance they will do this to another child, we are left with no other option than "rot in jail". They simply have to be sequestered, the same way you would quarantine a disease carrier during an epidemic. Otherwise you're simply inviting them to do it again.
How many crimes against children aren't reported? Especially when taken place by a family member or family friend? I only know of a couple cases out of over a dozen people who were sexually abused as children.
And of those, how many that do abuse again murder their victims? I woudl rather ten child abusers spend twenty years in jail, if it means that the one that would go and kill a child their next time out didn't have that opportunity.
I value the life of little girls and boys more then the life of those who want to sexually abuse them, i guess.
1. There's a lot of oft repeated myth about this topic, which, along with secrency and charged emotions, makes it harder to know (A) what's going on and (B) what to do about it. Despite "the belief that child molesters are largely violent and untreatable, sex offenders actually have the lowest rearrest rates of all convicts. According to the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, only five percent of convicted sex offenders re-offend in three years, and studies show that fewer than one in four commit another sex crime in fifteen years. Men who rape women are more likely to return to their old ways than pedophiles who molest girls." You can read all kinds of stuff at the website of the Bureau of Justice Statistics
, part of the U.S. Department of Justice.
2. The key word was "rot". You can be in prison in a rotting way, or you can be in prison in a way that helps you, helps those around you, and helps society and the world at large. There are many methods of quarantine, not all of which involve inducing human beings to "rot".